St David’s Hospice Care In-Patient Unit provides specialist palliative and end-of-life care to hundreds of local people each year. Patients benefit from round-the-clock care, tailored to their individual needs and wishes.
Around the clock care
At times you may need the around the clock care and support provided by the St David’s Hospice Care In-Patient Unit. Through specialist knowledge and skills, staff will aim to ease your symptoms and address any concerns you may have. We will care for you and your family as individuals and the professional team will consult you and, with your permission, those close to you about your care.
The In-Patient Unit consists of 15 single bedrooms with en-suite facilities and own patio area. Your care team will include doctors, nurses, therapists, family support workers and spiritual care staff. It is our aim to provide you with the best possible, individual care 24 hours a day for the duration of your stay.
Taking care of you and your family
Our professional team provide 24-hour expert care, 365 days a year. We offer emotional support for both you and those close to you, including children.
St David’s Hospice Care welcomes and provides care to everyone regardless of people’s age, gender, disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or diagnosis.
- Offer a range of services to support your goals.
- Provide emotional support for both you and those close to you, including children.
- Be respectful of all beliefs, religions and cultures and tailor your care accordingly.
- Offer advice about practical issues such as money worries, social benefits and accessing equipment and services.
- Provide a flexible catering service to suit your own tastes and dietary needs.
- Show you to our Y Dawel and quiet areas when you or your visitors need time to reflect.
- Provide bereavement and pre-bereavement support to you and those around you who may need it.
Our individual, calm, patient rooms are:
- Fully equipped bedrooms with TV.
- Wide selection of freshly-prepared meals and snacks available throughout the day.
- Unrestricted visiting times.
- Rooms each with individual patio with stunning views.
- Café which can be used by patients, families and visitors.
- Visitors showering facilities, 6 rooms have bed settees for relatives to stay if they wish.
Further Useful Information
How can I access the In-Patient Unit?
Referral is normally made by your St David’s community Clinical Nurse Specialist but can be made by the hospital team, GP, District Nurse or other healthcare professional.
What should I bring with me on admission?
If you need the expert care offered by our In-Patient wards, you will need to bring with you your usual medication and any personal items, such as toiletries.
We recommend comfortable indoor clothing and nightwear, plus some well-fitting slippers or shoes to avoid the risk of falls. You can bring your mobile phone but we suggest that you leave other valuables at home. Please do not bring large amounts of money.
Please feel free to bring any photos or small personal items that make you feel at home during your stay.
The In-Patient Unit is a no smoking environment. A smoking area is available for patients in the garden. Relatives or friends will need to accompany patients who wish to smoke.
What amenities will I have in my room?
We offer fully-equipped bedrooms with TV. Freshly prepared meals and snacks are available from our in-house chef and catering team. We cater for all dietary requirements. You can also use the onsite café which serves sandwiches, light snacks and cakes throughout the day.
Overnight accommodation is available for carers or relatives; please speak to a nurse for more details. There are no formal restrictions on visiting times.