Benefits of doing 10k steps a day include:
- Strengthen your heart by helping the heart muscle become more efficient and keep your blood pressure under control. Exercising helps pump oxygen-rich blood to your lungs, organs and muscles and stimulates your lymphatic system to flow more effectively and clear waste made by the body each day.
- Maintain weight, reduce body fat and improve muscle tone in the legs, butt and trunk. It is very reasonable for an average person to burn 200-500 calories per hour depending on their gait, speed, height, weight, age and gender. These are some serious calories that can help burn body fat and improve overall physique.
- Regulate blood sugar levels. Exercise is a demand placed on the body and the currency for it to work is glucose. Exercising, in turn, helps stabilize your blood sugar and drive down levels of inflammation brought on by inactivity, stress and poor diet.
- Improve brain function. The pancreas, liver, heart and lungs are not the only organs working more efficiently from exercise; the brain benefits as well. Exercise helps improve blood flow to the brain, reduce inflammation and lower stress hormones, helping with cognition and memory.
- Improve balance and build muscle. Having proper walking mechanics and using the muscles of the legs, butt and trunk helps the biggest set of muscles in your body maintain function and stave off age-related muscle loss.
- Boost mood. Exercise releases neurotransmitters, endorphins and other chemicals that can make us calmer, more energetic and less prone to the blues. Physical effort not only knocks out stress, it helps us sleep better, which also improves mood.