The South Wales Three Peaks Trial
- Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
- Event Type
For Tickets or more information, please contact:
The Three Peaks Trial is an organised challenge walk arranged each year in March by the Cardiff Outdoor Group. Since 2010 Longtown Mountain Rescue Team provide support with marshalls on all the mountain top checkpoints.
The Walk was first held in March 1963 and was designed for less experienced walkers who wanted to test their powers of endurance and skill at map reading. It is now the oldest challenge walk in the UK.
Over the years the event has been modified so in 2020 there is a choice of four other routes. The current four routes are:
- Gold Route: This is the original challenge, a circular walk of about 20 miles and 5000′ of ascent, which crosses over three prominent peaks around Abergavenny in Monmouthshire: Blorenge, Sugar Loaf and Skirrid. This route is never far from civilisation yet there is no obvious route so that concentration on map reading is essential to keep to the best route.
- Silver Route: This is a circular walk of about 15 miles and 4000′ of ascent. It follows the Gold Route from Abergavenny over Blorenge and Sugar Loaf, then descends back to Abergavenny.
- Bronze Route: This is a circular walk of about 10 miles and 2000′ of ascent. The route goes from Abergavenny to the summit of Sugar Loaf, descending by a different path.
- The 3PT Great Challenge: Due to Covid, this is an alternative option, Click Here For Details
- Platinum Route Please note that the usual fourth route, the Platinum Route, a linear walk of about 17 miles and 5000′ of ascent from Llanthony Abbey to Abergavenny over Bal Mawr, Pen Cerrig Calch and Sugar Loaf, is cancelled for 2021 due to the pandemic and will return in 2022).
The money raised in the 2021 Three Peaks Trial will be split between the Longtown Mountain Rescue Team, the National Trust, owners of Sugar Loaf and Skirrid Fawr, for footpath maintenance and at least one other charity (charity decided November 2019).
Please note that we are unable to take any entries on the day.
Raising Money for Other Causes
People are welcome to raise sponsorship for other registered charities. Please confirm with the Organizers beforehand which charity you wish to raise funds for.
St David’s Hospice Care would very much appreciate you raising funds for them, set-up a just giving page below:
- Click ‘fundraise for us’,
- select event from the list
- create page
Contact us for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
SPECIAL OFFER FOR THREE PEAKS TRIALERS:
Cardiff Outdoor Group (COG) organise a wide range of day walks and weekends away throughout the year in South Wales and beyond to suit all abilities: perfect training for the Three Peaks Trial. Click Here for details. Also as a special offer for Three Peaks Trialers you are welcome to join COG at the reduced annual rate of just £12. Click Here to join COG.