Bank Healthcare Assistant
Hospice at Home
About the role
Salary: £11.31 p/h weekday + £11.93 p/h weekend
Closing date: Sunday 31st December 2023
Role type: Permanent
Are you looking for a rewarding and fulfilling career where you can make a difference to your community?
We are seeking healthcare assistants with a Level 3 NVQ/diploma in Health and Social Care, for patients with palliative care needs.
Working hours will be night shifts (10pm – 7am) and will include working weekends and bank holidays.
The role is subject to an enhanced check with the Disclosure Barring Service.
Healthcare Assistants will be required to register with Social Care Wales.
- To care for patients with Palliative care needs as requested by St. David’s Nurses.
- To provide support and respite care for patients and their families in their own home.
- To work in accordance with the policies and procedures of St. David’s Hospice Care and Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW).
- To maintain confidentiality at all times.
- To ensure patients’ comfort and dignity at all times.
- To work alongside patients and carers, whilst also recognising their need for privacy
- To perform basic nursing procedures in accordance with the District Nurses Care Plan and document any activity.
- To report any changes in the patient’s condition to the appropriate St. David’s Clinical Nurse Specialist.
- To help with patient’s personal hygiene and toilet needs if appropriate.
- To maintain a safe environment for self, patients and carers at all times.
- To be familiar with the Care Decisions Tool for the Last Days of Life.
- To recognise and accept the limits of personal knowledge and responsibility.
- To be aware of ones own responsibilities towards Health and Safety Regulations
- To verbally report any accident or untoward incident as soon as possible followed by written details.
- To be aware of procedures in place to contact the St. David’s out-of-hours service, whenever advice is sought.
- To recognise the need and be willing to undertake any training identified as necessary.
- To participate in clinical supervision and attend Hospice at Home meetings.
- To observe a No Smoking policy whilst on duty.
- To observe a No Sleeping on Duty policy.
- To log in and out of Guardian to confirm that you have reached the patient's house at the start and end of the shift.
- To contact the Hospice at Home Nurse in charge in the event of any problems occurring during the shift or the patient dies or condition causes concern.
- Ensure a verbal handover from CNS prior to shift commencement.
- To be aware of the risk assessment for each patient and act accordingly.
- Possess a minimum of a Diploma in Adult Health and Social Care level 3 or be actively working towards.
- Good communication skills.
- Community nursing experience.
- To have an open, caring and inclusive manner.
- Car driver/owner.
- All up to date mandatory training
- Community experience
- Experience in caring for patients/families needing palliative care.
This job description is not exhaustive and is subject to change as indicated by the needs of SDHC. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will only contact you if you are shortlisted for an interview. Shortlisting and interviews for roles take place periodically throughout the year.
Health and Safety
To ensure that the agreed procedures are carried out and be aware of the responsibilities placed on employees under the Health and Safety at Work Act. To maintain a safe environment for employees and visitors.
If you are required to do so, process and/or use information held on a computer or word processor in a fair and lawful way. To hold data only for specific registered purposes and not to disclose it in any way incompatible with such a purpose. To disclose data to authorised persons or organisations as instructed.
It is the aim of St David's Hospice Care (SDHC) to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of sex, race, colour, nationality or ethnic origins, or is placed at a disadvantage by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable. To this end, SDHC has an Equal Opportunities Policy and it is for each employee to contribute to its success.
No Smoking Policy
SDHC operates a No Smoking policy.
Conditions of Service:
In accordance with SDHC Employment Manual.
A Pension Scheme is offered on appointment. Staff may prefer to make their own arrangements.
All information concerning patients/clients and staff must be treated as strictly confidential at all times.
Thank you for your application
We will get back to you as soon as we can.
Sorry, an error ocurred: